"Hunterstown truly has much
the same potential f
restoration as Colonial Williamsburg did;
would that another John D. Rockefeller Jr.
could be found."
~ Edwin L. Green, Artist, Colonial
|Formerly, a Methodist Church...
|Currently, the church is not in use.
"You may hear the distant toll of the
the happy sounds of children at play
or music from the old church pump organ."
~ Linda Cleveland, Historian
|Two Room Schoolhouse
secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes."
~ Benjamin Disraeli
See the Hunterstown Prints by Artist, Edwin L. Green, Williamsburg, VA
|Civil War Era Home...
|Owned and Restored by Joe Matthews.
The Jesse McCreary House
This pre-civil war house, mostly log, in Hunterstown, Pennsylvania
was built in 1860 and occupied by the village tailor
and his wife Jane. The McCrearys had
two daughters. Alice McCreary
was the second wife
of the village doctor, Charles E. Goldsborough.
Martha McCreary married David L. Plank. Their son, Edward Stewart
better known at "Gettysburg Eddie"
was a well known pitcher for the
Athletics and is in the Baseball Hall of Fame.
(Linda Cleveland, Local Historian)
Also home of "Hunterstown Woodworks" ...
the vision to see....
the faith to believe,
and the courage to do."
|Montgomery Place - Circa 1790
|The Richard Kammerer Farm
by Rev. Joseph Henderson in 1792. Bought by Abraham Fickes and Jacob Taughenbaugh in 1802. Confederate cavalry visited in
1863 seeking fresh mounts. Young Joseph W. Taughenbaugh nearly lost his pony "Sam", but a compassionate Confederate
officer allowed it was "not big enough to carry a man" 5th and 6th generation descendants of Jacob Taughenbaugh
presently own and occupy the house and lands.
|This home was torn down 1n 2012.
"Instead of building a sterile 'McMansion'
on a postage stamp lot in a new
that destroys historic property, why not restore
an old house in Hunterstown?"
Edwin L. Green
The David Little House
Little is said to have made chairs here as early as 1816.
Huntertown was known as the "rocking chair capitol
of the world
well into the 1900's.
|Early Log Cabin located on Red Bridge Road.
Unfortunately, this old log cabin was taken down
owner of the property. 07/07
|Built in the mid 1700's.
All photographs on this site by Laurie Harding unless otherwise